Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Un Arbol de la Navidad

Yesterday the kids went to the woods to collect decorations for the Christmas tree in the library- I didn’t know what to expect, but was shocked at how much moss and how many bromeliads they took from the forest. Grappling with my sense of right and wrong in regards to the woods, and experiencing a deep dismay at how many of these beautiful plants would die, I at first just stepped back to watch. They washed the plants and moss and began laying it on the floor- I asked them if they were going to put the plants on the tree- they looked at me like I was nuts. No, this is where the wise men and the animals walk to the tree- on the path... And they ran to collect rocks and sand to make a path. Someone said, don’t they do it like this in your land? I said no, we just put a blanket under the tree usually. I started thinking of all the plastic and synthetic fabrics that are involved with Christmas in my land, the advertisements, blinking lights, frezy, and stress over money- the incredible amount of waste. I got down on my knees and helped rinse off the bromeliads to nestle them down into the moss. It was beautiful and magic looking, especially after we made animals out of play dough and hid them in our little bosque. When I saw the paper and crab grass creating the “forest” in the office, I was relieved for the forest plants that not everyone takes them. I began to think, will this tradition fade? Will the children cease to run to the woods, fall into the creek, dig their hand beneath moss and accidentally catch frogs? Later in the day as I saw the chef and a friend driving away with flowering bromeliads that reached about 8 feet tall to sell at a nearby market, I came to the conclusion that this tradition is doomed, and I will enjoy these bromeliads, and the forest around us while I can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home