Sunday, February 05, 2006

Waking up on the right side of the bed


I have, since Colombia, questioned my time here in Ecuador greatly. It has been difficult to get projects moving, support has been spotty, friends have been few and far between, and I have been cold and lonely. With the advent of our youth training on Thursday, however, I felt a renewed sense of purpose and commitment to the community. We are working with 7 sixteen - nineteen year old boys who are also English students of Cameron's. I'll admit- they scared me at first with their constant joking, budding manhood, Quechua language, and crotch grabbing. But, as with so many situations, once we moved past the exterior they were attentive, funny, open to the games and learning, and into taking on the role of teacher for the environmental education project. Friday they went for a preliminary session with children from the community, and although there were many problems, the day was beautiful, the kids psyched, and the teeangers proud. For me, it was just what I needed to boot me out of my homesick lethargy and believe in what we are doing again.

I have to wake up and be here before I wake up back in the U.S.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home