Thursday, September 22, 2005

Salsa Cristian

"Si el espiritu de dio se muevan me
yo danco como David.
Santo, santo, santo dicen los querabines
Santo, santo, santo es el señor jehovah
santo, santo, santo al dios que nos redime
porque nuestro dios es santo y la tierra llena de su gloria esta"

I spent the morning of Spanish class listening to Christian salsa and translating. This became very interesting as my buddhist husband refused to participate, and a Japanese woman, raised in a buddhist family, who knew nothing about Christianity became very confused by the word "redeem." I found myself in Spanish trying to explain the idea of heaven and hell, sin, redemption, and christ dying for your sins. I couldn´t help but think of David Sedaris explaining in broken french "He go on two sticks to your father." By the end at least she understood why there is man bleeding on a cross all over Quito. Cameron had long since vacated the salsa scene to study Spanish grammar with his teacher, which was lucky as the music was followed by a discussion of marriage customs in our three respective countries, which led to my teacher once again questioning me about my views on gay marriage, although it has been well established that we disagree. I am happy this week to have a new teacher who is a good old fashioned catholic and doesn´t feel the need to save me. Vocabulary from the lesson included:
redimirse- redeem
cielo- heaven
infierno- hell
pecados- sins
querebines- the highest form of an angel, higher than an angel or arcangel- my teacher told me one querebin can kill seven million people. Wow. Thats my kind of angel.
It is hard to be tolerant of beliefs that preclude tolerance, and here lies my greatest criticism of evangelist Christianity.

1 Comments:

At 6:06 PM, Blogger sweetpea said...

Amen, sister.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home