Saturday, October 01, 2005

Un Concurso

My dictionary describes concurso as a competition or contest. If only I had known this beforehand, I could have saved myself a little bit of shame. As it was, I thought maybe it meant scavenger hunt, and I innocently followed two frantic teenagers to a gazebo at the local pool pumping reggaeton thinking that they needed check off their list someone in a bikini, and just had to show me to someone official. This belief was fueled by an earlier scene of fifty teenagers running up a hill wildly screaming and then breaking off in all directions searching for something. I inadvertantly found myself a participant in a bikini contest in which all the other particpants were at least a decade younger than me. Once I realized what was happening, I tried to find a way out, but to no avail. I stood on stage in my sneakers and bikini, clutching an old beach towel from my mom's house around my shoulders. When it was my turn I opened up the towel briefly to be greeted by shouts of "No!" and por fin, they helped me down from the stage.

1 Comments:

At 7:41 PM, Blogger Scottish Toodler said...

I feel ya'! Lo siento mucho! PS--I maybe smiled a little bit, not much...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home