Monday, February 20, 2006

en la Emergencia

It is not a good sign when you go to the bathroom at the doctors, and there are some strange looking medical instruments in a pan of dirty water on the floor. What are these instruments for? And why, for god’s sake, are they on the floor in the bathroom, stewing in a liquid that looks like at has been there for a week?

In truth, it wasn’t bad, and aside from the bathroom seemed relatively clean. We exited with an emergency room exam for each of us on a Sunday evening costing only $20.00 each. With this, I wonder, is the quality of our health care in the states worth the cost? Is it worth the limited access? It is so hard to say. I am thankful always for the medical care that saved my life when I was gravely injured as a teeneager, and pray that I am never seriously ill or injured while in Ecuador, but $20. That’s hard to beat.

We are both on antibiotics now for our respective infections and are doing just fine.

1 Comments:

At 9:16 PM, Blogger Scottish Toodler said...

Medical care in other countries is always interesting. I don't think it matters where you are from or what country you are in...seriously...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home